22 August 2012
New Ultra Zoom flagship shoots stunning close-ups without extra gear
Olympus lens power gets closer, sharper and wider SP-820UZ boosts zoom to 40x plus
Olympus’ Ultra Zoom ‘Traveller’ Series has broken new ground again. For people who want expressive, excellent-quality close-ups on the go, the new flagship SP-820UZ has a superb optical zoom lens that takes the SP Series’ traditional zoom power to a whole new level. For the first time you can magnify subjects up to 40x for the sort of detail, dynamism and emotion you’d only normally expect from an interchangeable telephoto lens. Given that its rivals can manage only 24mm*, the 22.4mm** super wide-angle lens on the SP-820UZ offers outstanding wide-angle flexibility with broad landscapes, interiors or crowds. The rest of the spec is equally impressive. Full HD and highspeed, adjustable-frame rate movie recording combines with Olympus iHS technologies that include a high-sensitivity CMOS sensor, TruePic V image processor – and an array of advanced features. The result? Fast reaction times, radiant colours, plus beautifully sharp images of fast-moving subjects and low-light, backlit scenes. Time after time, wherever you are, however light you want to travel. The SP-820UZ has an ergonomic comfort grip and the professional looks of a top-of-therange camera. Available in black from late October for just £279.99.
You don’t have to go on holiday to appreciate the finer points of the new Olympus Traveller flagship. The lightweight SP-820UZ is compact enough to merit a place at your side on a day-to-day basis. It’s a blessing for anyone with a good eye for a great-quality close-up and for eye-catching design. The sleek housing is also engineered specifically to be easy to hold still 22 August 2012, 06:00 am GMT 2 when you shoot at high magnification – when shaking can potentially ruin a great shot.
With the SP-820UZ in your hand, the feel-good factor is intensified by anticipation of the images to come. In this camera category, the quality is top drawer. Olympus’ 40x super wide-angle optical zoom lens (22.4- 896mm**) has the range and precision to deliver corner-to-corner, 14- Megapixel resolution with close-ups, expansive wide-angles and even super-macro shots. And for telephoto fans, it has a special treat in store: Super-resolution Zoom. For 40x read a massive 80x with this mode turned on. The SP-820UZ delivers HDR Backlight Adjustment, Handheld Starlight Mode and Dual Image Stabilisation. These are just some of the assistive technologies that help ensure sharp, rich, low-noise images of the highest order – irrespective of shooting conditions – from high-speed sequential stills to Full HD family movies. Smart Panorama is another time- and worksaver. When you pan the SP-820UZ from side to side, it automatically shoots and knits together a series of images to give you a spectacular, sweeping still photo that stretches up to 360°. To tweak your images there is a choice of 12 Magic Filters, most of which can be applied to both movies and photos. Just another leading feature that makes the SP-820UZ the ideal all-rounder for zoom-loving hobby photographers.
- 40x super-wide angle optical zoom lens with 22.4-896mm** for superb close-ups and group shots
- iHS technologies for capturing exactly the shots you want irrespective of shooting conditions
- 14 Megapixel CMOS sensor for high-resolution, superb-quality full-size movies, stills and prints, even in low light
- Powerful TruePic V image engine for excellent colours and sharpness, Full HD movies and high-sensitivity shooting
- 1080p Full HD Movie with sound for capturing movies in the best image quality currently available in compact cameras*
- Dual Image Stabilisation for reducing blur with fast-moving shots
- Multi-motion Movie IS for capturing HD movies with reduced blur while walking
- Super-resolution Zoom for digitally extending the range of the optical zoom with virtually no loss of image quality
- Eye-Fi Card compatibility for automatic wireless uploading of images to a website or PC
- 3” colour LCD (460,000 dots) for easily framing, reviewing and sharing shots
- Smart Panorama for capturing sweeping stills just by panning the camera
- HDR Backlight Adjustment for perfectly exposed pictures of inanimate objects even when shooting against the light
- Handheld Starlight Mode for shooting blur-free at night without a tripod
- Face Detection and Advanced Shadow Adjustment Technology for capturing people’s faces just as you want them
- Advanced Intelligent Auto Mode (i-Auto) and AF Tracking for easy setting and focussing
- Scene Mode for automatic settings that suit specific conditions (e.g., Landscape, Night)
- Photo with Movie Clip for shooting movies while taking still shots
Creativity & Flexibility
- Magic Filters for adding creative effects to HD movies and/or stills: Dramatic (photos only), Drawing, Fish Eye, Fragmented (photos only), Miniature, Pin Hole, Pop Art, Punk, Reflection, Soft Focus, Sparkle (photos only) and Watercolour
- Beauty Make-up Mode for adding fun make-up effects to three people and hiding blemishes before you shoot
- Pet Detection Mode for automatically capturing dog’s or cat’s faces when they look at the camera
- High-speed sequential shooting for a dynamic series of fast-moving objects
- High-speed movie recording for high-frame rate capture with super slow-motion playback
- Super macro for stunning macros just 1cm from the lens
Other key features
- Compact body for an attractive, highly portable design
- [ib] software for browsing, organising and viewing images by person, place, location or event
- HDMI technology for controlling your camera from one remote when it’s connected to HD equipment
- SDHC™ and SDXC™ memory card compatible, including UHS-I support
- Built-in flash
- In-camera help guide
* As of August 2012.
** 35mm camera equivalent.
Eye-Fi is a trademark of Eye-Fi, Inc.
SD is a trademark of SD Card Association.